Highlights in goldfields history [19 August 1945]

[Editor: Some interesting aspects of life on the early goldfields, such as building a home out of tins, and tricking Muslim transporters (camel drivers) into carrying bacon.]

Believe it – It’s true

Highlights in goldfields history

Gold telluride was first discovered on the Boulder Block 45 lease on May 24, 1896. Mr. Erle Huntley, of Kalgoorlie, made blowpipe tests and passed on the samples to Mr. Holroyd, of Kalgoorlie. Two samples assayed 31 oz. and 91oz. respectively. Gold telluride was found on the Great Boulder Main Reef on November 13, 1896.

* * *

Before its value became known, telluride ore was used in the construction of roads. One squatter on the leases even used this ore to build a chimney.

* * *

Among early materials used for buildings around the Golden Mile mines were kerosene tins filled with earth. One squatter on the leases constructed his shack with old meat tins filled with earth.

* * *

Origin of the name of the Paringa mine, on the Golden Mile, comes from an application for a lease by Mr. Milo Robert Cudmore, who was a member of the well-known Cudmore family, owners of Paringa Station, on the Murray River, near Renmark, S.A. Milo Cudmore’s goldfields address was originally c/o W. G. Brookman, Great Boulder gold mine.

* * *

On religious grounds Afghan teamsters in the early days would never knowingly carry bacon. To ensure transportation of bacon, very often supplies had to be camouflaged under other names.

* * *

Since its inception some years ago, the “Boulder Block Committee” has taken great interest in the old miners and their wives and children living in the vicinity of the Boulder Block, Fimiston. Committee from time to time; as occasion arises, supplies clothes to the needy, and at Christmas time good cheer is distributed with a Christmas present of £1. Thanks to the committee no “Boulder Block” pensioner has ever been buried as a pauper.



Source:
Sunday Times (Perth, WA) Sunday 19 August 1945, page 11

Speak Your Mind

*